The IMVU Roleplaying Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The IMVU Roleplaying Forum

An archive for RP resources, and a forum for the discussion of IMVU RP

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reality vs. Fun

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Aegenia

Aegenia

Reality vs. Fun Empty
PostSubject: Reality vs. Fun   Reality vs. Fun I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 12:01 pm

I woke up this morning thinking about this whole idea. Reality getting in the way of fun. It from a Youtube channel I watch called "How to be a Great GM"

What are your thoughts on the matter? Do you think that everything should follow the very laws of physics and the like as we know it, or do you think that these laws can generally be relaxed a little to make for a bit more of an entertaining and enjoyable scene?

The example that the person brought up was shooting an arrow to bounce off something to hit a target. Depending on the time period or maybe even in general an arrow might not have the kinetic energy to do so unlike a bullet which could do this just fine.

I like the idea of relaxing these kinds of rules for the sake of having fun. We get bogged down by enough of these laws in real life as is and people are playing in a setting that may or may not even be possible to begin with. Now I don't think these laws should be relaxed to the point where they make no sense (Unless the setting allows for it) but in a general Earth-like setting, I think things like maybe bouncing an arrow off a wall wouldn't be like dividing by 0.
Back to top Go down
http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_mypage.php?user=157666728
EtherialNeko

EtherialNeko

Reality vs. Fun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reality vs. Fun   Reality vs. Fun I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 10:36 pm

My DM would usually relax the rules on things so long as it's for something fun or entertaining.
Like letting us use a potion of treeshape to burst out of a monsters stomach.

So long as it wasn't ridiculous. (See arrow that has been modified to put a portable hole into a bag of holding when it hits the target)

I think D&D is fantasy. there was a cartoon of robin hood as a fox where his arrow bounced off of a bunch of things and hit the target. I think for fun and dramatic effect in a fantasy setting, it's good to bend the rules or have some stuff like that going on. Smile
Back to top Go down

Reality vs. Fun
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The IMVU Roleplaying Forum :: General IMVU RP Discussion :: General Audience RP Discussion-
Jump to: